A bit over a week has passed since arriving at Panditarama and there are a few differences from the last time I was here. Firstly, and most apparent, is the monsoon weather. Although it was getting hot in the last month of my stay up to mid April it is definitely hot and humid now – the rain comes and goes, sometimes as a light shower but this morning a huge deluge, which was a welcome relief. So some of the paths are under water and it’s a pleasant walk through that coolness. Any opportunity to feel slightly cooler is eagerly taken – so walking in the rain, a drink of cold water fresh from the freezer, a cold shower, bare feet on the cool tiles in the dining room, etc etc. But these provide only momentary respites from the general sense of feeling hot and sweaty. It is the humidity together with the heat that is the most difficult to take. In the meditation hall their is a network of electric cables snaking around the room taking fans to each meditator – and the breeze they raise cools the body and makes it reasonably comfortable. Last night I sat in the hall with the group and the electricity went out for the last one-hour session from 8pm. It was a different experience without having the fan on, feeling the sweat build up and start to run down the body.
However snakes like the warmer weather and apparently a few cobras were recently seen around the centre – but, touch wood, I have yet to come across any. Other times I’ve glimpsed and occasional one hanging around or in the pond hunting for frogs. The ants also are in force at this time of year and while I lie on the floor typing, large black ants scamper across my legs. Fortunately they seem very benevolent – only needing to get from a to b via me.
Today I prepared a salad for lunch a rare treat that is not on the Burmese nuns’ cooking repertoire. This has been a bit of an issue of contention apparently but as a newcomer I was able to break through the stalemate of opposing sides and radically prepare a tomato, cucumber and olive (left from my last trip) salad. Now it has be made and all eaten the precedent has been set, at least while I’m around, and maybe more can follow.
I have ventured out for short forays to escape the confines of the centre and walk along the canal or across to the lakes where a bit of a coolish breeze can be had in the evening. On the Burmese Full moon day I went with the young nun – Sayalay Dhamma Deepa – to the Burmese monastery to drop off some treats and meet the resident monk- Venerable Kovida. Sayalay took many photos of me and obviously not having seen too many Westerners thinks I am beautiful – so proceeded to take many photos of me in different combinations of me and monk, me and pond, me and pagoda etc. We then walked with the monk down to the Maya Devi temple - the archaeological area – so they could pay respects to the Buddha’s birthplace. After visiting the temple itself we walked around the ruins then sat under a tree and I gave Sayalay an impromptu English lesson while watching pilgrims come and go. Although it is the hot season a few individuals and pilgrim group still come – especially the Sri Lankans, who possibly find the climate comfortably ok – being equatorial dwellers.
No comments:
Post a Comment